Wednesday 13 November 2013

Enjoying the DHC and finishing touches

As I had a day of from work and the weather was rather fine today I decided to take the cover of the DHC and went for a few hours' drive in the surrounding area. Was lovely to be out in the autumn sunshine with the top down. Also a good opportunity to see how the new wheel/tyre combination behaves. The same tyres on 5,5Jx13" original TR7 alloys gave a good ride but sometimes slightly wallowy ride. But on the 6Jx13" Wolfrace wheels the feel is markedly better. Probably helped by the wider stance of these wheel. But in my opinion they look rather splendid on the car...




But as you can see there is something missing on the wheels, the centre caps. There was only one cap left when I purchased the FHC. And so far my search for a set of new centre caps has been fruitless. I have been toying with idea of having them machined from solid alloy, but then I remembered that nowadays you can have this sort of parts fabricated with 3D printing equipment. So that question is now away to a small local company. Very curious after their reaction. This is how they are meant to look when they are ready ...


Edit; got a quotation for 3D-printing the wheel centres. Have to admit that the price offered was a bit over the top for me. Maybe in the future this method of fabricating will become more cost effective. But for now I will look at a more traditional approach. Either have them machined from alloy or visit some breaker yards in the area and see what they can provide.

No comments: